From the kitchen of Mena Vesce (IAC member since 11/2005)
- Flour to coat chicken
- 2 whole chickens each cut into eight pieces with the breast cut into thirds
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves peeled and halved
- 10 to 12 ozs. white mushrooms sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded and sliced into l/2 inch strips
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and sliced into l/2 inch strips
- 1 cup of Marsala wine (or dry white wine is acceptable)
- 1 - 15 oz can of chicken broth
- 1 - 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with liquid
- l tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- l tsp. dried oregano
You will need:
- Large frying pan
- 9 X 13 baking dish
- Aluminum foil
- Pre-heat oven to 350*
- Place the flour in a shallow dish and coat the chicken pieces. Shake off any excess.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken in batches and fry until golden brown on all sides. When all chicken has been cooked, set aside.
- Add the garlic to pan and cook until it turns golden brown. Remove garlic.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté five to seven minutes until they release most of their liquid.
- Add the onions and bell peppers and sauté until the vegetables are soft, approximately six minutes.
- Add the wine and let reduce by half.
- In a 9 X 13 baking dish, mix the chicken broth, tomatoes, crushed red pepper, salt and oregano. Stir in the contents of the frying pan. Add the chicken.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Serve over linguine or rice if desired.